Is 866-428-8102 Calling You? Sue Them for $500-$1,500!
If you’ve been receiving calls from 866-428-8102, you can take some solace in the fact that you’re not alone. Better yet, you don’t have to put up with harassment. You can sue the caller and recover up to $1,500 per call. Here’s what you need to know about 866-428-8102:
- 866-428-8102 is a number used by the debt collection agency Portfolio Recovery Associates.
- Portfolio Recovery Associates buys huge quantities of charged-off debt and then tries to collect on it.
- Portfolio Recovery Associates is based in Norfolk, Virginia.
If you’re not familiar with debt buyers, here’s what you need to know:
- When a consumer doesn’t pay a bill, the business eventually has to write off the debt as uncollectible and remove it from their list of assets.
- The original creditor (a credit card company, a cell phone provider, or any other business) can bundle its old debts and sell them to a company like Portfolio Recovery Associates.
- Portfolio Recovery Associates buys the debt portfolio for next to nothing, and then turns around and calls consumers from 866-428-8102 in order to try and collect those old debts.
- Each state has a statute of limitations, after which you cannot be sued for an old debt. Debt buyers often try to trick consumers into acknowledging the debt, thereby “resetting the clock,” and making the debt current again.
Complaints About Calls from 866-428-8102
But here’s the situation…. Around the web, consumer discussion boards are filled with complaints about calls from 866-428-8102:
- One harassed consumer noted, “I paid Portfolio Recovery for a debt – in full, one-time payment. They said when paid they would notify the credit bureaus and send me a letter. Six months later after I paid, and I still cannot get them to notify the credit bureau or send me my letter.”
- Another said, “They’re calling me to collect a debt for someone else…. The name they say in messages isn’t me.”
- Yet a third wrote, “This number called me to try to collect a debt of my sister’s, who passed away unexpectedly. When I explained to them that she had died they asked me to provide a death certificate. I told them I didn’t know who they were or what debt they were supposedly trying to collect.”
But here’s the deal…. When Portfolio Recovery Associates is calling from 866-428-8102, the debt collectors are often calling the wrong person. That’s because debt buyers often receive very little information about the people who supposedly owe money. So they start “dialing for dollars” and begin calling folks who have the same names or phone numbers of the people who incurred the debt.
Seize Your Power and Fight Back!
While it’s awful to be victimized by debt collector harassment, the good news is that you can stop the abuse. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act says that you can sue harassing debt collectors and recover up to $1,000.
In addition, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act gives you the right to sue harassing callers and recover up to $500 – or triple that amount if the caller knowingly and willfully violated the law.
If you’re receiving calls from 866-428-8102, you need to phone Lemberg & Associates. Here’s why:
- Lemberg & Associates has helped more than 8,000 clients recover more than $20 million.
- We can help you sue debt collectors under the FDCPA, and it won’t cost you a dime. Our legal representation is 100% free because debt collection agencies that violate the law are required to pay our fees.
- We can also help you sue harassing callers under the TCPA. You don’t have to pay a dime in out-of-pocket expenses. We work for you on a contingency basis and only get paid if we win.
So why wait? To stop debt collectors in their tracks, call Lemberg & Associates or complete the form to the right. We’ll fight for the justice you deserve.
Lemberg & Associates’ team
of consumer attorneys is highly
skilled and ready to help you
with debt collector abuse.
If you have been the victim of harassment or illegal or unfair debt collection practices, Lemberg & Associates will discuss your options with you and protect your rights. For more information, contact Lemberg & Associates today at .
Learn More About Us
"The FDCPA is a consumer protection statute and was intended to permit, even encourage, attorneys like Lemberg to act as private attorney generals to pursue FDCPA claims."
Sign Up for Our Webinar!
In just 30 minutes, learn how to sue for illegal robocalls and recover $500-$1,500 per call.
Monday, 12/9 at 12:00 p.m. EST/9:00 a.m. PST OR
Tuesday, 12/10 at 9:00 p.m. EST/6:00 p.m. PST
Click here to register
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.